Flash Flood Clean-up & Safety
The monsoon season is approaching here in southern Nevada. Unexpected damage to your home or business is frustrating. Rebuilding shouldn’t be. Contact MVDI when you need to clean up and rebuild without delay.
Safety is key to avoiding more damage if flash flood waters invade your home or office.
- Be alert for gas leaks. Use a flashlight to inspect for damage. Don’t smoke or use candles, lanterns or open flames unless you are sure that the gas has been turned off and the area has been aired out.
- Be sure the electricity is off before entering a flooded home or office.
- Clean and disinfect everything that got wet.
- Soaked carpeting and padding should be pulled up and discarded.
- Watch your step. After a flood, the ground and floors could be covered with debris including broken bottles and nails. Floors and stairs that have been covered with mud can be very slippery.
- The use of large fans can speed the drying process and curtail the development of mold.
- If the water level got so high that appliances were soaked, unplug them until they can dry out. Some appliances, such as television sets, can shock you even after they have been unplugged. Don’t use appliances or motors that have gotten wet unless they have been taken apart, cleaned and dried.